Off The Beaten Track WA has teamed up with outback survival guru, Bob Cooper to host a two day WA Outback Survival Course based in Chidlow.
Many irrational fears cloud people’s engagement with our wilderness – even in the bushlands of suburbia. The fear of snakes, spiders, becoming lost and being alone are all acquired fears. Survival skills can replace fear with respect for, and trust in, nature.
Such knowledge enables people to walk freely and feel safer in our natural environment. As a society we need to recapture the survival skills and empathy with nature which our ancestors instinctively knew. True appreciation and understanding of our natural environment may be the only factor that saves it, and, on occasions, us.
Survival situations cannot be anticipated, they just happen. Whether or not you survive such a situation largely depends on the decisions you make in the first few hours. Your decisions can be made easier if you have had some training in what is known as bush survival.
The WA Outback Survival Course Weekender provides you with 2 nights bush camping with a campfire classroom set up for those interested in learning or honing their basic/advanced survival knowledge, how to have a safer or more adventurous wilderness experience, and of course what to do when ‘Plan A’ is not going the way you intended it to.
Date/Time: The course starts Friday 18 October 2019 at 5pm and finishes Sunday 20 October 2019 around 4pm.
Subjects covered include:
- Psychology of fear and priorities for survival
- Navigation with compass, sun, moon and stars
- Water procurement and management techniques
- Avoiding poisoning by toxic vegetation
- Edible and medicinal plants
- Modern and traditional survival kits and skills
- Snake awareness and bite treatment
- Alternative fire-lighting methods, including friction
- Emergency signals, day and night
- String making out of natural fibres
- Plus many more useful lessons to make your outings safer
Price: $695 per person
Your fee includes:
- 2 nights & 2 days of practical and theoretical instruction in the bush with Bob Cooper and other qualified instructors
- All meals and accommodation fees
- A Bob Cooper Survival Kit, Snake Bite Kit and Emergency Blanket
- On successful completion of the course, you will be presented with the Outback Survival Certificate
Detailed joining instructions will be sent to all participants prior to the course commencing.
Minimum age 14 years. Minors to be accompanied by a parent/guardian.
To view other Off The Beaten Track WA events and tours please click here!